5 Ways to Beat the Car Insurance Price Hikes
Published: 21st September 2017
Liddy’s recently reported on a change in policy that could very well lead to an increase in car insurance premiums. A recent survey carried out by Money supermarket has shown that these increases are starting to happen. The average insurance premium is currently £562, which is £88 greater than last year.
There are general fluctuations in amount between different age groups, men and woman and the location of the insurance policy, but all groups, except 16-17 year olds, have seen an increase in the cost of their insurance premium in form or another.
Thankfully, there are always ways to beat the system, and here Liddy’s would like to list 5 of the most successful tactics the team here have employed to help keep our car insurance premiums down.
- Compare the quotes – not every price comparison site is equal, even if the insurers that appear on them are the same they will return different prices on each site. Also, some of the largest insurers, such as Direct Line, Aviva and Zurich, don’t appear on comparison sites and are definitely worth checking.
- Call them – you can’t haggle with a website, but you can with a person. If you have the time it’s always worth calling the insurers to see if they can drop their prices with a bit of persuasion.
- Add a named driver – adding another driver, ideally someone older with a lot of years no claims, can dramatically impact your insurance premium. Check with older relatives or siblings to see if they can help.
- Swap your job title – use the tool on the money saving expert website to find a job title similar to yours, but at a fraction of the cost.
- Pay upfront – when you pay monthly most insurance providers add a premium, or interest, for the service as they are essentially giving you credit. If you can afford to do so then it may be worth paying up front. In the past we have heard that some people have found it cheaper to get a credit card and use that to pay their annual insurance bill, due to the lower interest costs.
Liddy’s Solicitors specialises in personal injury claims, including road traffic accident claims. We are based in Wakefield and Barnsley and provide our services to clients all over Yorkshire. To find out more just call us on 01226 731 314.