Burn Injuries from Negligent Colleague in Bakery Canteen: Claiming Compensation for Workplace Accidents

Published: 13th June 2024

I acted for a client who was employed in a bakery. During her break into the works canteen and boiled the kettle. As she turned with the kettle in her hand she was shocked by how close her colleague was standing to her, and spilled the hot water down her front. She burnt her neck and chest.

A claim was made against her employers, because it was negligent of the colleague to stand so close when a person has a kettle in their hands, and an employer is responsible for the negligence of anyone they employ. They initially denied liability.

After issuing court proceedings, though, a settlement was agreed for £3,740.